Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sharing Memories

When I was Pixies age we moved to Japan. My dad was in the army so we moved every 2 to 3 years. Once there, I found out there was no American television. Of course I did not speak Japanese therefore I could not understand anything on t.v. I would sit and try to follow what was happening but to no avail. Luckily we had the armed forces radio network. At night before I went to sleep I would turn on the radio to listen to programs like The Shadow or Sherlock Holmes or Mystery Theater. Sometimes they would play the old comedy routines of Abbott and Costello or Jack Benny. Mind you, most of these programs were before my time. This was the stuff people listened to before everyone had t.v. I really had fond memories of laying there in the dark listening to the dramas playing out imagining how the characters looked or what the scene looked like. Sometimes getting a little scared, or laughing hysterically at some silly joke.

So the other day for some reason I remember all of this and I thought wouldn't it be nice to be able to share this with Pixie. So I google old radio shows and sure enough there are a bunch of sites where you can download them. I found all of them, and more shows I never new were out there. The Chronicles of Narnia. Andy Griffin. Boris Karloff. Just to name a few. I got so excited. I went straight to Pixie and asked her if she would like to listen with me. Last night we listened to Mystery Theatre. I think tonight we will go to Narnia.

I feel like I am able to share a little snippet of my childhood with Pixie through this. Though we now plug our earphones into the laptop instead of tuning in the radio, I went back in time. And just for a few moments last night I was a 9 year old girl, listening, imagining and wondering what would happen next.

2 comments:

  1. What a great thing to share with a small person!

    So save me some trouble... do you have any links you'd like to share?

    My hubby had an unconventional childhood, filled with being dragged from one place to another as his mom went through man after man.

    Many of the places he lived were out in the middle of nowhere. His radio was his only companion for weeks at a time. He used to really enjoy old radio shows when he could find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash